Friday, June 3, 2011

The Handmade Marketplace (part 2)


So this post continues on from part 1. There have been times when I am reading an interview with a designer in Rock Sound magazine, and I am amazed to find out they are the same age as me (or younger!), yet they already have an extensive portfolio of work for big bands and concerts. And other times, I find out that designers I really admire have gone to study design later in life and are only just finding their creative niche in their 30s.

So I found this piece of advice in The Handmade Marketplace from Liz Smith really inspiring...
Don't worry about where you are in the process of building your business. Everyone is at a different stage, but everyone is at some stage. Listen to people ahead of you, help those who are still catching up to you, and don't be intimidated by people who seem to have it all figured out. No one has it all figured out.

2 comments:

  1. that's great quote to share Anne... sometimes I spend hours looking at other people's beautiful designs or illustrations. On one hand, I feel very inspired by their work but on the other hand, I get blue thinking 'why do I even bother?!' when there is already so much out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I feel exactly the same way! I just go bonkers trying to compare my work to others, because there's so much good stuff out there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...