Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tales from Outer Suburbia








Lately I have been working my way through all of Shaun Tan's amazing books. I love the way he writes surreal stories and the quirky creatures and inventions he conjures up in his drawings. I adore all his books, but my favourite has to be Tales From Outer Suburbia. Every single page has been so thoughtfully designed with different mediums used to illustrate the short stories.

It is so inspirational how much success Shaun Tan has attained simply by following his passion for writing and illustrating children's books. This year he won an Oscar for best animated short film The Lost Thing, and he also won the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award (a prize of AUS $760,000) acknowledging more than 10 years of his work in children’s literature.

How amazing to think that a world-famous, Oscar-winning illustrator grew up in Perth! I'll finish off this post with a quote from Shaun's website ...
In school I was known as the 'good drawer' which partly compensated for always being the shortest kid in every class.

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...